Monday, March 10, 2008

Bribery gone south

Today I went and bought both the exersaucer and jumperoo from a lady off of Craigslist. (I totally shouldn't have bought them both, especially after my last post! I got both of them for $30 total. I've actually put the exersaucer up for sale because it's just too much big stuff for my little house! Plus it was definitely in used condition. Stupid, stupid me. Talk about buyer's remorse! The jumperoo, on the other hand, was in good condition and was a good buy at $20.)

She was pretty chatty and her little 4 year old was cooing over Dean. She was making small talk about kids, and said, "Good luck when they get to 4! I can't get her to eat anything! I tried giving her a bowl of cereal this morning and she wouldn't eat it. I tried giving her [something else] and still no. I just made her a grilled cheese sandwich in hopes of getting calories in her." Amidst this discussion I gave her a $20 and a $10. When she finished speaking, she waved the money in front of her 4 year old and said, "Look what I've got!" She whips the $10 out and says in a sugary voice, "I'll give you this if you go and eat your sandwich!" The little girl comes and grabs the money, but stays put in the front room with us.

All I could think of was, "Heck, give it back to me, and I'll go eat the sandwich!" I wanted to tell the lady "OF COURSE she isn't going to eat if she knows she'll get some sweet mula if she holds out long enough!" $10 for 1 sandwich! YIKES!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Celia!!! How the heck are you? I saw your name on Sarah's blog and I thought I would say hi! Well, everything is great here. I am having fun being a stay at home mom!
I hope you are well.
Jennifer (Ellerman)
PS I totally would have held out all day if I knew I would get $10 for eating a sandwich!! :o)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Hey Jennifer! You're looking amazing. I can't believe you have 2 kids! Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hi. =) Things are going well here.

Brian & Veronica said...

That makes me sick! I'm not the best parent, I want to change a lot of things, but if my kids don't eat what I give them, then they don't eat. I made sure of that long ago! Man, it just makes me sick how we condition our kids sometimes. Just sick.

Lindsay said...

Oh brother! That little example does not rate high at all on my own personal parenting tactics list. Good heavens!

Also, this woman did another thing that absolutely drives me nuts. She pulled the "Enjoy them while they're little because once they get older they become little nightmares" routine. I can't stand it when parents do this. Don't they love their children? Because if I answered that question based on how some mother's talk about their kiddos, I'd seriously wonder. As they get older, new challenges in the raising of my children will most definitely develop, but they might not be the same ones other parents are dealing with. And if they are, they might not seem to me as dreadfully challenging as they were for other mothers. They are my children and I will deal myself my own portion of doom and gloom, thank you very much.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

She really did seem like a nice lady. Just a little clueless about the fact that her behavior was contributing to her daughter's misbehavior.

The other thing I don't like is when parents talk badly about their children as if the kids don't understand what they're saying. Meaning, she was talking about her daughter being a difficult child right in front of her. Not so good.

The Drapers said...

Lily loves her jumparoo, I bet Dean will to. I hear ya on not having enough space for all of the big stuff. All we have right now is the jumparoo.. I put the swing and vibrating chair in storage!

Jacqui said...

Yay! I bet Dean will love it.

Brooke said...

Ellee's been not wanting to eat any "real" food lately...and I hadn't thought of just paying her...JUST KIDDING! That's crazy! Instead, Elliott will usually eat a little Cadbury mini-egg right in front of her and comment on how delicious it is and how she could have one if she ate dinner....but, surprisingly that isn't working either. I guess she's just not that hungry lately. Oh well! I'm hoping it's just a phase.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

And the exersaucer just sold tonight for the same amount I bought it. Sweet.