Friday, December 07, 2007

Getting to know you: Christmas Edition

My aunt sent this in an email so I thought I'd put my responses up here.

Wrapping paper or gift bags?
  • Gift bags are nice because they're reusable. However, I do use both. One thing that's fun is using plain brown wrapping (like you'd use to cover a book to keep it from getting damaged) and then doing different things with the bows and tags.
Real or Fake tree?
  • We always cut our trees fresh from the forest growing up, and those were some great memories. We have a $10 tree from IKEA in our house now. It works.
When do you put up the tree?
  • I would love to put it up the day after Thanksgiving, but I have a feeling that we won't put it up until Dec. 1st as a martial compromise.
When do you take down the tree?
  • New Year's day? Or whenever we get back from our parents' house after Christmas/ the New Year.
Favorite gift received as a child?
  • Not sure. I know I really liked the dolls and pound puppies my mom made. Can't think of anything else that sticks out in my mind.
Do you have a nativity scene?
  • One. I got it in Guatemala. I love it. They're in brightly colored traditional Guatemalan dress. I wouldn't mind getting others. My mother-in-law collects nativities and I think it would be a fun collection.
Hardest person to buy for?
  • My brother Eric.
Easiest person to buy for?
  • Me. Just kidding! Um. Matt, however, his wanted items are usually some pricey computer part like a new processor or video card or something.
Worst present you ever received?
  • Is any present a bad present? I mean, seriously, you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. (Is that the phrase? It sounds really weird once I type it.)
Mail or email Christmas Cards?
  • Both. I love making Christmas cards, but it's hard make enough/ get them out to EVERYONE I want to. Good heavens it's expensive to mail cards now a days.
Favorite Christmas movie?
  • Best Christmas Pageant Ever. A Christmas Story. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. (Depending on my mood.)
When do you start Christmas shopping?
  • Whenever I see something that screams "CHRISTMAS PRESENT!" but usually it's sometime between late November and mid-December.
Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
  • Hmmm...I wouldn't put it past me, though I can't recall a specific time.
Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
  • At my parents' house I love to eat: our traditional shredded wheat breakfast on Christmas morning. Also, my mom's date balls are good. And in the stockings I always like the malt balls the best. Oh, and cheese balls are good too.
  • At Matt's parents' house I love to eat: homemade chex mix. And burritos from El Gran. It's not a Christmas thing, really, but we're only there at Christmas time and boy are they good.
Clear or colored lights on the tree?
  • Colored for sure. Unless it's an angel tree. But for a regular tree, colored.
Favorite Christmas song?
  • I like "What Child is this?" a lot. Silent night is great. And for a secular song, Ella Fitzgerald's version of Jingle Bells.
Travel or stay home for Christmas?
  • Right now it's travel. We've yet to spend a Christmas on our own. We're on the "every-other-year" Christmas schedule with our parents. Once Dean hits 2 and we have to buy him a plane ticket, we might start reconsidering.
Can you name all the reindeer?
  • Heck yes.
Angel or star on top of the tree?
  • I don't have either, but I'd probably say star.
Open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?
  • Christmas morning for sure.
Most annoying thing about this time of year?
  • TV commercials that use tweaked Christmas songs to sell their products
What do you love most about Christmas?
  • Time off of normal life to spend with family.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I love this! I just might copy it and send it to my family.

Juls said...

Yes I have found that I am the easiest to shop for too! And I don't know about the gift horse phrase...hum...loved it.

Mizike said...

I've been planning my tree since last christmas, but not sure if it will happen with our move and such.

I wanted an all orange christmas tree. Not an orange tree, but a white one with all orange ornaments and lights. I found orange lights at halloween, and have been buying orange ornaments when I found them. I also bought some cheap glass ones that I thought about painting orange.

I hope it turns out as well as I think it will.

Perhaps we'll do a pure black and white tree next year. White tree and all black ornaments.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Awesome Mizike. Then the next year you could put the white tree up at halloween with the orange lights and black ornaments and keep it up till Christmas.